On May 26, 2012 the Lawrence Public Schools (LPS) presented a proposed budget for Fiscal Year 2013. This budget was created by the Receiver/Superintendent Jeff Riley. Previous budgets of LPS were created by administrators from LPS but were then approved by the Lawrence School Committee. Since the Commonwealth declared the City of Lawrence a Level 5 district the Superintendent has been given the power to approved his own budget.
Kudos to all of my colleagues from the School Committee who were present at the Public Hearing. Also in attendance were two community members and 9 administrators. LPS put out an advertisement in the newspaper a few weeks ago and also posted it at City Hall.
The Budget Hearing was an overview of how the budget was created and the goals the Receiver had in mind.
- Allocate resources to schools based on their status and targeted needs to rapidly accelerate achievement for all students.
- Expand supports and enrichment opportunities to reduce the achievement and opportunity gaps for all groups of students.
- Bolster standards based instructional initiatives, focusing on rigorous instructional practices across all content areas and grade levels, to provide for higher levels of student engagement and ensure college readiness for all students.
- Build stronger data temas in school and at the Central Office to analyze, interpret, and use data to inform decisions around instructional programming, interventions, and program development.
- Reinvent parent and community engagement strategies to increase information sharing and parent/community member engagement at all levels of the school system: School Leadership Teams, district subcommittees, volunteer programs, PTO’s, etc.
- Continue to enhance safe and supportive learning environments in our schools through the expansion of wraparound services, academic safety nets, and extended day programs for students through partnerships with more community agencies to provide school-based activities that support learning opportunities for all students.
Below is a summary of the proposed FY budget by School or Responsibility Center. Since I received the budget about 24 hours ago, I have not yet had the opportunity to study the 60+ page document. If you would like a PDF file of the budget feel free to email me at PPayano@gmail.com
The next step is for the Lawrence City Council to review the budget.